An introduction to St John's connection with Balmain war history
St John's Church was built in June 1882, and the coverage of the Parish included Mort's Dock, the Balmain Colliery and Cockatoo Island.
In this era, Governments provided little in the way of compensation or social welfare and the Church was able to give some practical assistance to those afflicted with sickness and poverty.
At the time of the First World War, St John's had a very social influence across Balmain. They had a cricket clubs, tennis clubs, choirs, and were involved in the formation of the nearby sailing club.
During the Depression, St John's was actively involved in activities through the St John's Comforts Club (which continued through the war), which knitted socks and jumpers for those in need and met once a week. A soup kitchen also operated in an old room under the Hall. By the time of World War Two, the Rector of St John's was the Superintendent of the local Civilian Aid Emergency Service, a government organisation combining schools, churches, hospitals and homes to provide shelter, food and preparations for war.
To those who else were dismal in the cold;